situated on the Chicago & Paducah Railroad, about ten miles south of
Fairbury, and was laid out
The first business house enclosed in the village was that of E. H. Roberts, who selected the first lot, on the day the village was laid out. The business houses of H. McCormick, T. H. Aaron and Brownlee Brothers were under process of erection at the same time. The first dwelling was erected by John Colfer, now owned by Hampton McCormick, and operated as a hotel. About the same time dwellings were put up by L. L. Graves, James Stevenson and a Mr. Welch.
Strawn, like hundreds of other railroad towns and villages, has sprung up in the last few years like a hot-house plant. It is, however, a flourishing little place, full of energy and enterprise, and does a large amount of business. It is increasing in importance each year and will soon overtake some of the elder neighbors, unless they rub off the rust of years, and, like Dickens’ Little Joe “move on.”
E. H. Roberts, now of the firm of Aaron, Roberts & Co., sold the first goods in the village. His store was opened about 1st of July, 1878. At the present time there are eight stores in Strawn also harness shops, blacksmith shops, shoe shops, grain firms and one saloon. Indeed, the village seems to have completely risen above the swamps and marshes.
office was established
school was taught in Strawn by Sarah Hanagan, of
The Methodist society was organized in the village in the summer of 1874, under the ministerial care of Rev. R. D. Russell. The membership at the date of organization did not exceed eight persons, and the church now numbers on its roll some twenty active members, and is in a flourishing condition.