Long Point, Ill. History
is located in the northwestern corner of Livingston
County. Long Point derives its name
from the long point of timber extending from the Vermillion
River, along Long Point Creek
almost through the township. The village was given the same name as the
Point area prior to settlement was flat prairie land covered with coarse grass,
except for the timber along the creeks, Long Point, Diamond and Mole. Long
Point and Diamond creeks provide the only natural water source for township. Probably no richer land can be found in the county
than that of Long Point
Township. It is well adapted to the
production of corn, rye, oats and vegetables of various kinds. The first
inhabitants were the Indians, which had been removed prior to settlement of the
1838, none of the lands of Long Point
Township had been disposed of,
though they had been in market for two years. On the 6th of November, 1837, Andrew McDowell, who had come to the
township some time before, and who was the first settler, entered the first
piece of land in the township. When Mr.
McDowell came to the area, he was indeed on the prairie. There were no
inhabitants but for 25 miles to the west and as many to the south, all was an
open plain, without a fence or a shanty or any other indication that the
country had ever been visited by man.
Five or six miles to the north were the Moons and Barackmans, on the east in Amity
Township five or six miles were a
few cabins; but McDowell was literally on the prairie.
Settlers start arriving
after 1838, Isaac Hodgson made his
entry. He was from Pennsylvania
and lived here until 1853, when he sold out to Samuel Sillik and removed further west. Edwin L. and Oscar B. Wheeler who were from New York
came to the township, Edwin in 1839 and Oscar in 1841. Both have been very successful having started
from almost nothing.
quite a number of settlers had arrived, among which are James Argubright and his father-in-law Caleb Odle, John
Evans, Edward, David and Orin Rhodes, David and Loman
Miller, Crawford Isenhour and Lorin
Pratt. The first two of these were from Ohio,
while the other eight were natives of Pennsylvania. E. C. Allen arrived from Pennsylvania.
The Rhodes boys were brothers
and unmarried men. They resided here
until about 1858, when they sold out and moved further west. David and Loman
Miller were cousins, the former also being a
brother-in-law of Isenhour. In
1842, Frederick, Edward and Benjamin
Carlton, three brothers and Englishmen, settled in the township. Coming in
1846 was John Frederick Werner and Hiram
Werner, Cornelius Zeilman and sons Aaron and Philo arrived
in 1844. Godfreid Kiel settled here in 1847. E. L. Stratton came in 1848. Nathan Springer and Samuel Sillik arrived in 1849. Coming in 1850 were Absolam Hallam, Thomas
Mills and Robert Swift. Others
arriving during this period were: Erastus and William
Eaton, Orlando Chubbuck, Thomas Mills, Harvey Windsor, James P. Morgan
and Dr. J. C. Markle.
In 1853 Conrad Reed and son
William arrived. Andrew Saemisch came in 1854, along with J. Wesley Miller and son Merritt in the same year. John Minard came from Canada
in 1855. Isaac Ramsey, Stephen Coleman,
John Moulds, Frederick Girard and sons Herman and Albert, John Dykes, A. J. Ewart and sons Josiah, Joseph and James, A. J. Roberts,
Thomas Wray, James Worlds, W. Van Fleet, W. A. Allen also came during the
1850s. John Cooper came in 1859,
served in the Civil War, and returned in 1865. He lived to be the oldest in Long
related to Long Point were residents of Reading
Township: Ephraim Clark arriving in 1850, Ezariah Goldsmith in 1857, Daniel
McCoy in 1862, and Josepheus Harter in 1866. Timothy B. Custis came from LaSalle
County in the early 1860s to Reading
Township. In Newtown
Township closely connected with
Long Point was John Gottlief
Beutke and son Gustave
coming in 1859.
the 1860s were John W. Hart, John H. Colehower and son, B. F., J. F. Smith, S. D. Carson, James
B. Phillips, Andrew Raub, S. Martin, Leonard Wertz,
Theodore Stevenson, James Bradbury, Albanus Jenkins,
George Stilson, John Garee,
John T. and A. H. Hupp, William Kaminke
and T. S. Wolff. Adoph Sass, Sr. came in 1864. Marcus Lamp arrived in 1870.
Long Point Cemetery
John Evans gave the land to establish
the Long Point
Cemetery. His daughter, Emily Evans, born in 1819 died August 26, 1838 was among the first
buried there. A. J. McDowells
mother, Christina, died Feb. 20, 1838 and was buried there at
the age of 50. James McDowell died Sept. 16, 1846 at the age of 60 and
was buried there. Silas Berry,
according to the inscription on his stone, was the first sextant of the
cemetery. Richard Hicks, who came to
in 1851 and lived there for many years married Sarah Evans. He moved to Long Point in 1908. Another daughter of John Evans, Deborah, in 1845 married William Graham, a soldier in the
Mexican War and grandfather of Alva Graham
school in the township was in an old log cabin on Section 4 and the teacher was
a relative of Andrew McDowell. This was about 1843. Various denominations
organized churches in the township, Evangelical about 1864, Methodist Episcopal
Society in 1872, Protestant Methodists, and Lutherans. Small churches were
built or services were held in houses built on the mutual plan. Mutual plan houses were small frame homes
used for church, school and all other purposes.
Township of Long Point was organized in 1858. . The following are the names of
the persons elected to the respective offices:
J. P. Morgan Supervisor; E. C. Allen Clerk; O. B.
Wheeler Assessor; James Worlds Collector; Thomas Mills Overseer of the
Poor; E. L. Wheeler and Amos Roberts Justices of the Peace; James Worlds and
William Werner Constables; George Stilson, C. Zielman and A. J. Evans Commissioners of Highways; E. L.
Wheeler and Jeremiah McDowell Pound Masters.
the officers were: A. J. Bosserman Supervisor; Asa
A. Graham Clerk; J. B. Phillips Assessor; E. L. Stratton Collector; S. D.
Carson and A. M. Taggart Justices of the Peace; James Bradbury and Joel Hakes
Verner, Isaac Ramsey and A. J. Ewart
Road Commissioners; S. D. Carson School Treasurer.