Flanagan, Ill. History

Flanagan was laid out in 1880 by the Flanagan Brothers, Edward, Peter and Patrick, who owned the land on which the village is situated.  The survey was made by D. J. Stanford, county surveyor.  The village is surrounded by as fine farming lands as can be found anywhere in the state.  A thriving business is done here and evidences of prosperity and progress are on every hand.

Flanagan is an incorporated village of about 600, situated in the western part of Livingston County, in Nebraska Township, on the Kankakee and Minonk branch of the Illinois Central Railroad. It is thirteen miles west of Pontiac. 

The town has several substantial business blocks, a bank, weekly paper, good churches and a fine brick school building.  Artesian wells furnish an excellent supply of  pure water, which is carried all over town in mains and furnishes protection against fire. Over the years many loads of water has been hauled from Flanagan to various wells throughout the county during a really dry spell.

The grain shipments amount to nearly a million bushels a year.  A bed of clay has been opened adjacent to the town and tile and brick are manufactured on an extensive scale.

Prior to the settlement of Flanagan becoming a reality, Nebraska Township was the home to the settlers coming to this area.  They established churches, schools and farms across the countryside. During 1857 the settlers coming were C. Bruce, E. F. John, Peter E. and Patrick Flanagan and S. Williams. In 1858, Stephen M. Pillsbury with his family and Samuel Wilcox came from Bureau County


Flanagan Business Directory

Church Directory:

            Methodist Episcopal Church, 1869, built Church 1873 Section 20

            Christian Church

            Evangelical Lutheran Church, Rev. P. H. Valentine, pastor

            Church of St. Joseph, Rev. Joseph Flanagan, rector. In 1875, erected their

                church in Section 36.

            Baptists,1870, erected building in Section 7

            German Lutherans, 1859, established a private school

            Congregational Church, 1859-60. In 1875 built Church in Section 11


            In 1856 “Bureau School” was the first school in the township, taught by

                         J. A. Dakin.

            In 1858, four additional districts were created.

            About 1859, German Lutherans came, built a school with courses taught in

                        their lanuage.

Post offices:

            One on Section 10, in a store kept by Seymour Thomas

            Another store kept by Mr. Patten is also at this place

Secret Societies:

            Minneola Lodge No. 483, Knights of Pythias.

            Flanagan Lodge No. 3682, Modern Woodmen of America.

1898 Flanagan Business Directory


Bank:    E. Litchfield & Co., Bankers


            J. M. Milbourn’s Tonsorial Parlors,

George Rohrer, Barber

Blacksmith and Wagon Shops:

            Harry Corbin, Blacksmith

            W. R. Jones, Blacksmith

            John Habben, Wagonmaker

            T. A. Daniels, Wagonmaker

Brick and Tile

            H. C. Patton, Brick and Tile Factory

Collection Agents:

            C. C. Studley, Justice of the Peace

            R. G. Smith, Police Magistrate and Collection Agent

Contractors and Builders:

            George Ockuly, Contractor and Builder

            Wilcox Brothers, Contractors and Builders

            Carl Hunsicker, Contractor and Builder

Drugs and Medicines:

            W. C. Lutyen, Drugs and Jewelry

Furniture and Undertaking:

            Jansen & Joosten, Manufacturers, Wholesale & Retail Furniture Dealers

General Merchandise:

            S. Cohn, Dry Goods and Clothing

            David Diamond and Co., General Merchandise

            J. H. Linneman and Co., General Merchandise

            H. F. Mette, General Merchandise

            H. R. Mells, General Merchandise


            Middle Division Elevator Co, G. W. Horrie, Manager, Grain

            John Sherry, Grain Dealer

Hardware and Farm Machinery:

            Meils Bros., Hardware

            A. Walden, Hardware


            Charles W. Zebren, Harness, Buggies, Farm Machinery


            William Uden, Hotel and Livery Stable

            Fred Kleiman, Hotel and Boarding House

Lumber and Coal: Litchfield & Co. Lumber dealer

Meat Market:  Gingrich & Taylor, Meat Market

Physicians and Surgeons:

            C. W. Talbott, Physician and Surgeon

            E. E. McCoy, Physician and Surgeon

Painters and Paper Hangers:

            H. C. Gingrich, Painter and Paper Hanger

            W. L. Herald & Son,    Painter and Paper Hanger

            E. Cullen, Painter and Paper Hanger

            Henry Gingrich, Painter and Paper Hanger

Printers and Publishers:

            The Home Times ­– L. J. Calvin, Publisher

            The Zion’s Call – D. N. Claudon, Publisher

            D. N. Claudon, Stationery and Job Printing

Real Estate and Loans:

            C. B. Horrie, Real Estate Dealer

            Keiser & Eggert, Real Estate

Restaurants and Bakeries:

            Mrs. E. Foley, Restaurant

            Mark Diamond, Bakery, Notions


            James Dillon, Saloon

            John Spaniol, Saloon

            D. Whalen, Saloon

            Tim Cullen, Saloon

            August Ahrends, Saloon


            William Drury, Billiard Hall

            Ezra Richardson, Gardner

            Locker Hall, H. Locker, Manager

             J. M. Simpson, Mason

            Frank Kearfoot, Mason

            George Rohrer, Photographer

            G. W. Horrie, Postmaster

            B. G. Egert, Poultry Breeder

            Joseph Rich, Poultry Breeder   

            E. N. Richardson, Railroad and Express Agent

            Ernest Meyer, Shoemaker

            David Gingrich, Stock Buyer